Chosen From Heaven Above . . . Hearts Forever Joined In Love

Saturday, February 9, 2008

A fork in the IA road . . . Agency Decision.

Through a very difficult decision, I have decided that I need to withdraw from CHI to another agency for my 2nd adoption from Russia. It has been extremely hard for me to come to this decision and I have tears writing this post. CHI has become like family to me and my sweet, little 19 mo darling son’s face is what I see in my mind when I think of CHI. My son’s adoption (Sep 2004) is, without a doubt, my best life decision. And, CHI helped make parenthood and my family a reality. For that reason, I will always have a love for CHI. I consider Dwyatt Gantt one of the kindest advocates of orphaned children that I know. His personal conversations with me about orphaned children was the very reason I signed with CHI in 6/2003 (1st adoption) and then again in 1/2006 (2nd adoption). Over the last 4 years, working with Nichole Deal (St Louis) and Dianne Atteberry (KS City) has been wonderful and I consider them personal friends. But, for my 2nd adoption, after 2 years since signing and 18 months waiting for a referral, I feel I need to move forward with an agency that seems to be completing adoptions for infant girls more timely. And, as we all know and recently experienced in 2006/2007, Russia can change policies and procedures at any time. Time is of the essence to bring my baby girl home.

My heart is saddened to be leaving CHI. I had dreamed of both my children having their cherished CHI teddy bears as reminders of the wonderful agency that initially helped to create our wonderful family. However, regardless of agency, anytime children and parents are united in a forever family, it is a joyful experience.

It was very, very difficult to make that decision to withdraw from CHI. I agonized over it and grieved! But, I finally had to just take my personal relationships out of it and look at the facts of all the agencies I had recently researched throughout Dec/Jan. It was very obvious, given my pro/con paper outline. I shed a few tears when I told CHI. Dianne A. called me this morning (I knew she would), and I did tear up when I heard her voice. So many wonderful people! But, just not the right timing for my 2nd adoption. I just got “stuck” and it just didn’t seem like I could get past it. In fact, I almost gave up the 1st of Dec, thinking I was meant to only have 1 child. But, God prompted my heart while I was writing our Christmas letter, “your family is not complete yet”. I knew someone was missing during the holidays. My favorite scripture verse came to mind, Consider it ALL joy. James 1. It is all joy . . . even in the discouraging moments . . . working to bring an IA child home. There is a little baby girl waiting for us to bring her home - IA children are so precious.

So . . . on to the new paperchase trail. My new agency is Adoption Ark, located in Illinois. And, Yes, I will still go to Kemerovo (my preferred region). AA works exclusively with a baby house in Prokopievsk, which is only a short 30-45 minute drive from Novokuznetsk (Nicky’s BH city). In fact, both cities use the same airport. The reason I wanted to stay somewhat close to the Kemerovo region is Nicky has 2 sisters in orphanages in Kemerovo City & Topki that I want to visit and we have many friends that I have made during Nicholas’ adoption and during the 2 years I searched for his sisters (so many wonderful people!). So, logistically, it just makes sense to go back to that particular region. However, at this point and after 2 years, I would have gone ANYWHERE! But, AA seems to have a very good history in this region for timely adoptions, especially with infant, baby girls. There just doesn’t seem to be the major delay (I’m still not sure why, maybe because they work exclusive with the BH?). Anyway, hopefully, we are on our way!

I am so glad I thought enough to keep my home study and I-171H updated. It has made the switch so much easier. I have step 1 (USCIS/Homeland Security) already done for a new dossier with AA. I will probably have my MOE Dossier ready in a week and hopefully, registered by the end of the month. According to how baby girl adoptions are moving for AA, I should be traveling in 4-6 months!

Many have asked me about the financial end . . . Yes, because my dossier was already in Russia, translated and registered – I will forfeit ALL my investment with CHI. Yes, it was a BIG factor in my decision. Yes, it is a SUBSTANTIAL amount (those that have been in the IA world for any length of time, will be able to do the math). And, Yes, I feel it will be WORTH IT in the end - MY DAUGHTER.

I, however, will always consider us a loyal CHI family . . .

5 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

Hi Nancy! I just withdrew from CHI also and I have felt so odd the past few days. Although I never completed an adoption with them, the past 9 months have been spent talking to them, working with them, etc... It's so hard but in the end I know I made the right decision for me and my family. I wish you the best of luck with your adoption and just know that even though I didn't have the family tie to CHI that you did, it still was a very hard thing to do!

Russian Adoption Chronicles said...

Hi there, I just found your blog through someone else's. I am sorry you had to make such a difficult decision, but what I have heard about AA is nothing but good!

We just came back from Novokuznetsk with our own Nicholas, he lived in Baby Home #1 up until Feb 1 (Gotcha Day!).

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and wish you the best!

billandmonicab@yahoo.com

Carey and Norman said...

Hi Nancy. I was shocked to read your post, but I completely understand your decision. I am so glad to hear that you will return to the Kemerovo region as Nicky's siblings are there. I know this decision must have been a hard one, but you know your heart and God will lead you accordingly!

Sherrie said...

Hi Nancy! I enjoyed reading your post and thank you for keeping us updated on your journey. We wish you the best and please, let's keep in touch!

Meghann said...

Hi Aunt Nancy,

The next time we get to see each other will you sit down with me and explain the process to me? I don't know what some of the documents are that you've had to pull together. I'm very happy to have another memeber in our family! Hopefully after graduation I will be able to come and stay with you for a while and spend some time with Nicky. :)

I hope that you will be able to come to my graduation! I am very excited to see both of you!!

Give Nicky and Katy hugs and kisses for me.